Followers

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Hey Hey

Hey Hey, it is Mark Conselyea. Mark is a childhood friend. We have been friends since I was 8 or so. We played soccer together for 15 years. He was perhaps the best player on our team, but sadly our coach didn't know it. Mark went along as a faithful team member without whining about non playing time. He worked hard to make himself better, and he did. I learned a lot from Mark, even if he didn't know I was paying attention. Mark is a quiet unassuming man, but when you get to know him he is quite fascinating. He is also a good man in general. Whenever I seek donations for my travels to Russia or Rwanda or wherever, Mark steps up. He has donated soccer jerseys to Russia and soccer balls to Rwanda. He also helps to raise money in his hometown of Columbus, Ohio for his own causes.  I really can't thank him enough for his support of my endeavors and helping the less fortunate. Again, he does it all quietly, but I notice a lot more than our old soccer coach.

I remember the day I really realized what a unique, interesting individual Mark is. We were listening to some Led Zeppelin music (this was in the early 80s remember) and I asked Mark what his favorite Zeppelin song was.... I was expecting Stairway to Heaven of course, or even Kashmir or Over the Hills.... but his answer was Hey Hey. I thought I was a Zeppelin fan back then, but I had to admit I didn't know the song. I have gotten to know it quite well since then. And although it is probably my 2nd favorite Zeppelin song, it would not have even made the radar if it wasn't for Mark.





                                 Kids in Rwanda playing with a soccer ball donated by Mark.

                         "Quiet and unassuming should not be mistaken for boring and simple."

                    Now Go Out and Hug a Friend Today!!

2 comments:

  1. I love that song, though never knew the name of it! Thank you Rodney & Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen. It is a classic. Glad there are more fans like Mark and I.

    ReplyDelete