Followers

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Friendship Thursday

This week's friend is James. James is a Brit. I met him at camp in 1994 and consider him my English brother. James has worked thru a learning disabiliy, among other things to become a nurse. He works with kids on a psychiatric ward. That is tough work and he is now the manager of the whole unit... so he must be doing it well. I got to see James last spring and meet his charming wife and lovely daughter! I am so happy he has found his way thru the world. Just another example of extraordinary human perseverance.


James with his adorable daughter Riva and his charming wife Claire. He is such a good dad!

My favorite story of James was at camp when he was in his early 20s. He came off as a young, cocky British kid. But the kids at camp LOVED him, and I found out why! Behind closed doors he was the most caring, gentle, real person I may have ever met. Outside of those doors he was a little brash, and again appeared cocky. So, when he told me he was a scratch golfer, I just laughed at him. But once again James was full of surprises. I decided to make him prove he was that good, or in my mind to disprove it! Camp had some old golf clubs and golf balls in the sports shed. On a Saturday we pulled them out to hit some balls. The first club James grabbed was a 3 iron. This made me chuckle of course. As any golfer knows, you don't warm up with a 3 iroon. It is one of the hardest clubs to hit, besides a 1 or 2 of course. This made me "realize" James was full of it and had no idea what golf was all about. He hadn't swung a golf club in at least 4 weeks and he wants to use a 3 iron first. I was heckling him a little bit, but he quietly went on his way.  I also want to add that the clubs at camp were from 1930 I believe. Wooden shafts and rusted iron. As James took a couple of back swings, I did think "he does have a nice smooth swing actually". Then it happened.... He swung and hit the ball..... ZOOM!!!!! I swear I have never seen a golf ball go straighter or longer than the one he hit then! To me it was like watching Ernie or Tiger or Phil hit a ball! Or Jame's favorite player, Ian Woosnam. Another astonishment to me... how many people do you know would name Ian as their all time favorite golfer? I am guessing none. It just drives home the point of James... he is his own man who in truth is not flashy and doesn't care too much about what others are thinking or liking... and that is a great thing in my book. One of the many reasons I have the upmost respect for James and consider him my English brother!

           Now Go Out and Hug and Englishman Today

No comments:

Post a Comment