Followers

Monday, December 17, 2012

Christmas in Rwanda

6 Years ago today I was on a plane to Rwanda. I was fortunate enough to spend Christmas there with my dear friend Kelly and play with some kids who were a part of S.A.C.C.A. It is a Christmas I will never forget for many reasons. The kids there, like almost every other kid I have ever met, just wanted to play and be loved. Kelly and I did our best for the two weeks we were there. SACCA is one of many wonderful organizations out there helping kids, and we need to continue to support those programs the best we can. SACCA helps street children in Rwanda. Mostly kids who were effected by the genocides of 1994, but now they help many other street kids as well. I am happy to call them my friends and I miss those kids as much as I miss all the kids I have gotten to know. They all love to smile and dance there, even more so at Christmas. Their traditional dance is the "Cow" dance. Not sure why it is called that, but I did my best to join in.


     
                                          Dancing in Rwanda at a Christmas celebration.

         
                                  Mokunzie had one of the brightest smiles I have ever seen

"Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened" ~  Dr. Seuss

The thing that struck me most about the street kids in Rwanda was this...

They are considered to be the poorest of the poor... They get one gift at Christmas and it is a set of new clothes. They only get one other set of new clothes a year and that is at Easter. It is why they consider clothes a symbol of "status". They feel if you have clothes in your closet, you are rich.

Yet, they dance and smile and laugh like any other kids I have met!!!

Also, every year at Christmas they make a nativity scene out of clay and learn about Jesus and the REAL meaning of Christmas. Gifts are a nice way to show people you care about them and think about them, but the greatest gifts of all are Faith, Hope and Love.  Street kids in Rwanda seem to know this better than most.

So, enjoy the season... enjoy the love that surrounds you... enjoy your family and friends... and KNOW if you have clothes in your closet, you ARE rich!

           Now Go Out and Hug Someone Today

2 comments:

  1. I remember that Christmas very well, since Kelly is my daughter and she was going to be in Rwanda for Christmas, alone I feared, but then you, my dear friend Rodney who is also my "family", stepped up & joined her in Rwanda. I can never express how much it meant to me that you were there with Kelly for Christmas. I'm so proud of both of you for your humanitarian work, both in the U.S. & abroad. You each exemplify how much one single person can do to change the lives of so many. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen. I love being part of your family! It was an honor and privilege to share that experience with Kelly!

    ReplyDelete