Followers

Friday, February 22, 2013

Friday Fun, The Power of the Butt Pat

This is just a fun post with a little informative stuff for those of you who don't know... I learned this week about the power of the butt pat! I am absolutely amazed and fascinated by this maneuver. I have used it 3 times at work and it has been effective EVERY time! Do you know about the power?


                                                                   "Pat my Butt?"

Anyway, here is the scoop on it... I had a 3 year old girl who woke up from anesthesia and she was crying. Unconsolable and shouldn't have had any pain from what she had done. Another nurse came over and asked me if I tried the butt pat? I thought he was joking, but I said no. He proceeded to grab her ankles, bend her knees up to her belly and started patting her butt gently. Within seconds she stopped crying and went straight to sleep!! I kid you not! I was dumbfounded! It was probably the most amazing thing I have ever seen in my nursing cateer. I have done it two more times since and it worked both times! Crazy, but true!

Now there is a disclaimer. 2 of the 3 times we did it, the kid started crying again as soon as we stopped. So it is not a long term effect. The 3rd kid slept for about 10 minutes though and woke up happy. And the other 2 times were effective enough until mom or dad could come back and help console the child. One of the kids was quiet long enough to get a  breathing treatment in him for wheezing. So it is an effective tool for sure! I am not sure why it works, but I am guessing there is some science behind it. It can't be that coincidental. Anybody know the answer? A nerve stimulation perhaps?

Well, I hope this was fun and informative for you. I learn new stuff everyday and love it!!!


Now Go Out and Hug a Crying Baby Today or Butt Pat Them

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh that is hilarious. I do this at work all the time too! And I still do it to Jack sometimes when he is fussy. Usually I am holding the baby or they are laying on their bellies or side though I have done it the knees up supine way too. It is very effective and I have no idea why! As infants I believe that like rocking or walking them it gently bounces the brain/vestibular fluid as you were in the womb giving a parasympathetic response. Then as the child has been comforted in the past by the patting/bouncing/rocking it elicits the same calming; neurons that fire together wire together type thing. On babies I know this is true of containment/swaddling even just bringing their wild arms together for them putting their hands by their face and flexing their hips in the fetal position holding them still does this and giving baby pacifier for sucking does too. I am just guessing about the butt patting. Glad you are learning so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie. Parasypathetic response indeeed. Makes sense.

    ReplyDelete