Followers

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Penny from Heaven

As I get ready to go to Russia soon, I think of my friend Penny. I met Penny on my first trip to Russia in 2000. As I got to know her better and learned her story, it was remarkable to me...

Penny was fighing ovarian cancer back in 1999 when she met Maria and the children. Maria brought the kids to DC  for an art gallery and Penny lived in DC. She went to meet the kids and Maria and instantly fell in love. Penny promptly went home and told her family she was traveling with Maria and the kids in America for the rest of their tour there. They went to SF and Seattle and NYC. Then she decided to move to Russia. She lived in Russia and worked with Maria's Children for 2 years until her death in 2001. What an amazing way to spend the last two years of a life. She was helping children to have a better life as they get started, while her life was coming to an end.  I hope my last two years of life are that worthy!

I am so glad I met Penny, even though the loss of her hurt bad and still does. She was certainly a gift from Heaven to me and others.


 
     Chip and Penny on a boat in Russia during a summer camp experience with Maria's Children.

"Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth" ~Margaret Thatcher

As much as I respect Ms. Thatcher, she clearly never met my friend Penny :0)

"Every time it rains, it rains pennies from Heaven". ~ Johnny Burke

Maybe that is why I LOVE the rain so much! I miss my friend Penny, and the rain makes me feel better.

          Now Go Out and Hug Someone Named Penny Today



 

1 comment:

  1. Chip, This is a beautiful tribute to a beautiful person. Thank you for sharing Penny's beautiful story. One of the things I most loved about Penny was the bright glow she had in her eyes when she played with Maria's Children's kids... or the great candy pink colored wig that she wore when clowning with them. Your story brought back these precious memories of a truly precious and beautiful person. Many thanks and many hugs, Donna Kaminski

    ReplyDelete