Followers

Monday, May 1, 2017

Teacher

Tarkan was a great teacher I am sure!
One of my favorite stories from the tragedy of Beslan is about Tarkan. It is such a sad, yet inspiring, story. At age 89 Tarkan was in the school at the time of the siege. I am not sure if he was still teaching at that age or volunteering or just an honorary guest. None the less he was there.

The story told to me was... The terrorist told Tarkan that he could go home. Apparently a sign of "respect" for the oldest person in the room. It is strange how culture plays a part in life, even amongst terrorists and tragic times. In a strange way, it showed that the terrorists were actually human. Not humane of course, but still humans. What a strange and bewildering species we are eh?

Anyway, Tarkan looked them in the eye and responded

 "I will not leave without my children".

It gets to me every time I think of those words. This was truly a GREAT man! His greatness was reinforced to me on this visit. A young lady, in her 70s perhaps, saw me at his grave. She came up and pointed to him and then to herself and said "My first director". She didn't speak much English, but I understood that he was the director of the school when she was a student, many years before the tragedy. The look in her eyes was one of love and admiration for a man who has been dead for 12 plus years. She still visits his grave to pay respects. Amazing to me. How many of your teacher's or principal's graves do you visit? I visit none, and now I am a little ashamed of that fact.

If you have a teacher or a principal that you love and admire, I suggest that you let them know that. Now, while they are still alive! I have a few teachers I loved and admired growing up and I thank them all for the wisdom bestowed upon me. I would like to thank them all now, whether they know about it or not. I would especially like to thank Mrs. Bennett! If you ever have a teacher like Mrs. Bennett, consider yourself might lucky. I sure do!

          Now Go Out and Hug a Teacher Today!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment