Followers

Friday, May 2, 2014

My friend Donna "NJ Resident of the Year"

So, what does The Resident of the Year for the state of New Jersey look like?? She looks like THIS!


                                   Donna Kaminski "New Jersey Resident of the Year".
                                  (Her humble, "are you really taking a picture of me" look)

For those of you in the medical field, you know what an accomplishment and honor it is to be voted as the Resident of the Year for a whole state!! For those of you not in the medical field, a resident is a doctor who is still training after getting thru medical school and internships. So, not a resident as someone who lives in NJ, but a resident doctor who works in NJ.

What you don't know is how truly amazing it is. It is not surprising to me that Donna has been voted this honor, because I KNOW her well! But the path she took to get there is a little unconventional and noteworthy!

Donna had a career working with HIV positive people in NYC when she decided she wanted to go to medical school. An advisor told her she probably wouldn't get in... not because she wasn't worthy, but because of other factors. Age, test scores, etc. Donna pursued her dream anyway, and believe me she looks at being a doctor as a DREAM! It is a dream for her patients that is for sure!

Donna started med school in her late 20s or early 30s... not the norm. English is not her first language, so test taking does not come easy for her. Nobody else in her family is in medicine. Even though she had great support from her family, they could not help her with studies and medical stuff.

Donna works harder than anyone I know. She is more dedicated than ANY doctor or nurse I have ever met personally, and believe me I KNOW some amazing nurses and doctors. It is not a slight to them, but a tribute to Donna!! She, being humble, would never admit to this of course :0).


                                                        Donna laughing it up in NYC

She is forever inspiring me to be a better nurse! She always looks at her patient first and listens to them and tries to do everything in her power to help them! If their disease is beyond her medical expertise, she will still BE THERE for them! Her dedication is unparalleled!

She has told me stories of some of her patients from her residency. I don't know any other resident who would have done the things she has done! It would take a book to write it all here, but trust me it is totally true! I presume she will have a book written about her some day. Probably a new technique or procedure named after her. A few more awards in her future. And most important, a few thousand HAPPY patients that she is their doctor!!! 

If that is not enough to inspire you... and believe me you should be INSPIRED by Dr. Kaminski... She also travels to places like Malawi and Rwanda to deliver medical care to the sick and poor. Bono would be proud to know her I think. She did all this while still going thru med school and residency! Tireless effort, unflappable love, and dedicated care beyond measure. That is my friend!!!

       Now Go Out and Hug a Resident Today!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment