Followers

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Do you like pickled frogs?

So I recently had the pleasure of taking care of an extraordinary 6 year old. Every day I am amazed at what I learn from the kids who come thru my care. Let me tell you about her now.

This 6 year old came in from a group home for a procedure. She came with a transport person, no parents with her. I don't know her whole story or her parent's, if they are even alive. This young lady lives with a trach and relies on a ventilator to breath for her just to keep her alive. Connected to tubing 24hrs a day. I can't imagine what she could be happy about or positive about, but trust me she is one of the most positive and happy 6 year olds I have ever met.



She greeted me with a "Hi!!!" and bright eyes complete with a huge smile. I said hi back and asked if she was ready for her procedure. She said "Yes!!!". All of her answers were enthusiastic and positive, and I am sure were followed by at least 3 exclamation points if typed out :0).

No matter what I asked her, her answers were "Yes!!!". Do you want a warm blanket? "Yes!!!". Do you like this movie? "Yes!!!". Do you like Barbies? "Yes!!!" EVERY answer was the same, complete with bright eyes and a huge smile.

I mentioned she is 6 years old. Developmentally she might have been 2 or 3 or even 6. She didn't converse much, so it was hard to judge. I thought I would test her POSITIVETY. I decided to ask her "Do you like pickled frogs?".... she thought for a few seconds... scrunched her face up and said "NOOOOOOOO!!!!"

I nearly fell over, as I was expecting a Yes!!! Clearly she knew every question I was asking her. Her scrunched up face relayed a message of "Why would you ask me that?"... and it reinforced that all of her positive answers were GENUINE! One truly, genuinely happy positive girl.

                 I LOVE HER FOR TEACHING ME THAT!!

        Now Go Out and Hug A Child with Positivety!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment