Followers

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Back on my Feet

I stumbled across a video yesterday that made me think, made me sad, made me inspired. It is about a young woman who started a non profit called Back On My Feet to help homeless people. Check out the 5 minute video below if you have the time.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/homeless-business-owner-one-running-154620319.html
(I am not promoting this organization directly as I know very little about it, but it seems great)

It made me think about homeless people differently. What are THEIR stories? How can we truly HELP? Is it possible to wipe out homelessness in the greatest country on earth?

It made me sad because I realized I JUDGE homeless people way more than I ever should! Every time I see one holding a sign, I think "Why don't they try harder to get a job?". I am not proud of this thought, but I still think it. I wish I knew how to change it to be honest. I don't like to judge people, honestly. I do my very best to never judge ANYONE. But I still do sometimes. Why? I am not really sure. Something I need to learn and work on! For some reason or other, homeless people are the hardest for me to think about, deal with, etc. Not sure why, but I guess it is probably because I have a brother who is homeless and I know his true character. Of course it is WRONG to lump all homeless people into a category that is my brother. And does it truly mean my brother is a HOPELESS lost soul? Or is there a way to help him too? I have no answer for that, but I pray he gets found somehow. I just can't help him. He wants handouts from me, not hand ups.

This video inspired me because it makes me think in a different way. I still don't know what I am going to do about it, but at least I am thinking. That is the first step in any struggle in my opinion. To think DIFFERENTLY about it than you had before. I might see if there is a local Back On My Feet in Salt Lake?

Please share any stories or thoughts you have on this subject! I am all ears and ready to learn!


 
Not a spectacular photo of course, but appropriate for this post. These are the feet of a runner.
 
 
Now Go Out and Hug a Runner or a Homeless Person!!
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment