Followers

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Gift givers

A sampling of the gifts I received
The people of Russia are gift givers, plain and simple. Funny, because I am typically not a very good receiver of gifts. Part of my "minimalistic" ways I guess. But when I receive gifts from Russia it is different. I am overwhelmed with gratitude for these gifts. I receive them from a lot of people too... teachers, children, people on the streets, and even bus drivers. Gift giving is a big thing in the Russian culture. It is their way of letting you know you are important to them or they appreciate you. The gift comes 100 percent from the heart. They don't give them to impress you, other than to impress upon you how much you mean to them. I just love it!

The first gift I received this year was from Nadya. Nadya is the history teacher at the school. Her daughter Ira is one of my Russian "daughters". I just love these two women. The first gift from Nadya was allowing us to stay at her home in Beslan. Such a warm and welcoming home it was. The first morning she presented me with a more "traditional" kind of gift. A home made clown and some Russian chocolate. She is one of the most inspiring women I know and she is bestowing me with gifts. I am truly humbled.

A home made clown from Nadya
The next gift was given to me by Sarmat. Sarmat is a friend from last year. He is such a lovely young man. The fact he remembered me this year is amazing to me. This year he ran to me instantly and didn't leave my side, except to go to class. The second day he presented me with a toy. I am sure it was his personal toy, and he gave it to me as a "Thank You" gift. Who should be thanking who here I wondered. I am forever grateful for his friendship.

Chip, Sarmat and his sister Leeza. I have known Leeza for 12 years.
Everywhere we walked in Beslan people greeted us happily or honked their horns at us. Whenever we were asked what we were doing, my friend Pluk would explain we are here for the children of School No. 1. After hearing this, most people just gave us gifts! Everyone of course knows the story of School No. 1, so I am sure they appreciate "strangers" coming for the children. It still always impresses me how generous these people are. A lady in a small grocery store gave us free drinks. Another lady gave us free flowers. And the ladies at the market gave us free produce! Keep in mind, the ladies in the market make little to no money for their produce. The fact they give ANY of it away astounds me! The people of Russia, especially Beslan, are endlessly generous.

A lovely marketeer who gave us free tomatoes and bananas
Next in line to give me gifts were some students. Every year one or two students run up to me on the last day and hand me something as a gift, then they run away smiling. A little shy I guess. This year I had two students who spent a lot of time with me. Milana and Aleeza followed me around periodically through the week. Milana did a lot of interpreting for me. I know she did this to practice her English, but it was a huge help to me, and a gift in it's own way. The next to last day she invited Pluk and I to her classroom for tea. She proceeded to hand out treats and tea to her classmates and then to Pluk and I. Then she gave me 2 gifts to "thank" me. Again, who should be thanking who here? I graciously accepted her gifts and gave a big hug in return. This year I got photos of my gift givers though :0). I am learning. Her classmate also gave me a gift. It is really overwhelming to see such generosity from kids.

Milana and one of her gifts. She also gave me a journal to write in.

Aleeza and her gift
Every year the teachers give all of the volunteers gifts. They are always interesting gifts from the Ossetian region. This year I got a special edition Chacha (Traditional Georgian Liquor) in a funny ceramic statue. Plus a water canteen made of ceramic with a fun Ossetian Scene on it.

The teachers with new scarves given to them by Maria I believe.
One of the most unexpected gifts this year came from our bus driver Valery. Typically bus drivers do their job and keep to themselves. Fair enough. This year our bus driver was different. He got involved by spending time with some of the kids at the orphanage. This is highly unusual for a bus driver. He laughed and played with us along the way. And on our last day he gave me a can of vodka. Yes, a can. It is some of the smoothest vodka I have ever had actually! I could not thank him enough for his generosity. Not only for the vodka, but for showing interest in our group and the kids we visit! 

Vodka in an "oil" can

Valery hanging with some boys from Dur Dur Orphanage
My last morning in Russia I woke up to some gifts on the table. They were from Elya. Elya is Maria's youngest daughter. She stayed up late to make my gifts and surprise me. She is also kinda shy, so I could not thank her personally for it. But I am eternally grateful for her sweetness! Thank you Elya and Thanks to all of my gift giving friends!

Elya with her dog Marta

Now Go Out and Hug Someone Today! A hug is a gift!!!


2 comments:

  1. I love your piece. When I was in Russia the same thing happened to me. I know exactly what you mean. The people are beyond generous.

    ReplyDelete