Followers

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Highlights from Russia/Beslan Part 2

Children at a CP clinic in Beslan
As I said in my previous post, we visited several places IN the community. This is after clowning in the streets of Vladikavkaz to warm up :0). Our first visit, and probably my favorite, was at a clinic for kids with Cerebral Palsy (CP). This place was so lively, colorful and fun! The staff were energetic and full of laughter and love. The kids played with us while doing their therapy at the same time. They also use Hippa Therapy here, which means they use horses. Horses are great for kids with CP as it helps their muscles stretch a little easier. I feel this place incorporates play in their therapy a lot, but having clowns made it that much more enjoyable we hope! I hope we go back every year!

Great colors at the CP clinic
In the afternoon we went to a small orphanage in the middle of nowhere! It was an hour drive, and so worth it. There were 20 plus kids there. All from 5 different families. A close knit group for sure. I was greeted by twins, Yulia and Tanya. Yulia belly laughed as soon as she saw me. Then she grabbed my hand and gave me a tour of the place.. through the main room, to all of the bedrooms, and finally to a small playroom, which is also used for music. It was such fun! The kids played with balloons as other children played music, sang and danced for us.

Yulia and Tanya with my friend Zhorik
Kids played with balloons while others sang and performed
Before this visit we went to a cool local restaurant for a late lunch. The owner of the restaurant is an extraordinary and lovely man. His restaurant doubles as a museum, representing the cultures of the area and Chechnya. He is from Chechnya. He grew up in Russia and now lives near Beslan. He took Maria and Me to Chechnya for an extremely personal trip. It was an experience I will never forget! We could have never crossed the border from N. Ossetia to Chechnya without him with us. I am so grateful to this man for the gift he gave to me and Maria!


Nastya warms up the young kids for me
On our second day we visited a baby orphanage in the morning. In Russia, baby orphanages are for kids ages 1 to 5. At 5 they are sent to a "regular" orphanage. The kids here are typically leery of strangers, and for good reason. Luckily I had Nastya with me. She warmed the kids up slowly, as they got used to my presence. I am forever grateful for her. Two kids who were crying when they first saw me, were sitting in my lap at the end of our play session. Thank you Nastya.

Of course they come right to Maria with no hesitation :0)
 
After the baby orphanage we visited Dur Dur Village. This is an orphanage we visit every year. I love going back here. I have developed some connections with some of the kids for sure. Zao comes to greet me every time. He asked me for my camera again this year, but I forgot to bring it. So I gave him my kazooba tuba to play with instead. He is a bright and lively teenager!




We played and laughed and ate a yummy late lunch here. It is a beautiful setting for an orphanage and I feel the kids enjoy our visit as a break from their day to day routine. I know we enjoy it. After leaving Dur Dur, we head to the mountains for a dip in the hot springs. It is such a gloriously beautiful area. It is energizing and refreshing to swim in the natural hot springs. A good way to end our mid week day. The second half of the week will be in my next post.

               Now Go Out and Hug a Child Today!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment