Followers

Sunday, May 13, 2018

Highlights from Russia/Beslan 2018 Part 1.

Painting at Maria's dacha
As always, my trip begins with some time spent at Maria's dacha outside of Moscow. It is a great way to acclimate to the time change, meet any new people who are coming, and share time with Maria and her family. On Saturdays a group of kids from one of the orphanages in Moscow come to her country studio to paint, make ceramics and play. All the kids are wonderful, but Maxim had to be the cutest 3 year old I have seen in a while, and he loved my kazooba tuba.

Maxim and my kazooba tuba
Sunday night Maria took us to a great small venue for a concert. Seregei and his band were fabulous! Plus I got to see my sweet Ira and her fiancé Maxim. They looked so great together. I met Ira in 2007 at Maria's summer camp. She was 10 at the time, and so playful. You would never had known she had been thru one of the greatest tragedies in Russian history. Her brother and sister were killed in the Beslan siege. She is now ready to graduate from college with a degree in psychology I believe. She deserves a lifetime of happiness, and I hope Maxim provides it with her!

Ira and Maxim

Sergei and his band

On Monday we flew to Beslan. Fun travels as usual and we were greeted in Vladikavkaz by our friends from the school. And I was greeted by my friend Aslan once again! It is such a joy to see a dear friend, even if it is only once a year. Monday was a relaxing settle into our rooms kinda evening. We did have dinner at Maria's room with the teachers as usual.

Aslan and Chip outside the Vladikavkaz airport. He greets me every year! Next year we hope to go into the mountains together and explore the beauty there. I can't wait.

This years trip to Beslan was a little different. I think Maria is "transitioning" on purpose. The siege was over 13 years ago. All of the kids who were in the school at the time of the siege have graduated. It is still a big part of the history and we still need to visit the school, but now we do a little more "work" in the community. So we spent two days going to different orphanages, the open market, and a clinic for kids with Cerebral Palsy. Then we spent 3 days in the school having master classes like always, culminating in a concert. I like the transition personally. We want the whole community to know we support them, as they were ALL effected by the siege. Parents, other adults, and the now grown children still live in Beslan and still have horrific memories. They need Maria and others to continue the support. Plus, two of the kids who have graduated from the school organize all of our visits! Vika and Campbell did an amazing job of contacting local places and organizing everything. We even visited a center for children with "severe" neurological disorders. Nobody as ever visited these kids, until now! They are such lovely children too!

My next blog will be a little more description of each visit we made, so stay tuned...


              Now Go Out and Hug a Child Today!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment