Followers

Monday, July 21, 2014

I'm Happy

I'm Happy. I do like that song. Kind of a theme song for me. This post is not necessarily about my happiness, but about how I come to be happy. Believe it or not, it is a conscious effort to be happy! I do have a natural "tendency" to be happy which makes it easier for me to be happy most of the time, but not always. So I make an effort to project happiness.

I like how the Dalai Lama puts it...



Some of my friends would be highly surprised to know that I actually have a little mean, condescending, jerky streak in me! True story! Luckily I have learned to suppress that part of me most of the time. But it does still come out some. Usually when I am tired or hungry.  Is it an innate part of me? A product of my up bringing? That is the big mystery question that probably will never be answered. Kind of like the Egg or The Chicken question.

Anyway, I want to be happy and project happy, kind, loving thoughts... so I try to do that as best as I can. It is who I want to be, so it is what I put my effort into. However, the mean condescending jerky part of me does give me perspective on others who are mean or condescending at times. At least I feel it does. I feel I have a better understanding of these people because of my own inadequacy. So it teaches me tolerance to a small degree. And forgiveness. It has to start with my own forgiveness. So I choose to forgive myself for those times I am not what I want to be. This helps me to forgive others, and hopefully my friends who notice that part of me have forgiven me too! I think they do :0).

Now this is not to say that those people are bad people! "Au contraire". They may just be having a bad day. They need to be forgiven too. And it is not to say that happy people are always the best kind of people. It is just the way I choose to live. It works for me.

I do believe most people want to be happy and want to project kind thoughts (Ann Frank agrees I hear). So when you come across a mean or condescending person, don't judge them but instead offer an alternative to their mood... offer Kindness, or Happiness as an alternative. Maybe even offer a FREE HUG!! Or just a handshake! Or if you have the time, an open ear to bend. You may just change their attitude, mood, or even more importantly their life! All be it in a small way, but a small positive change is better than no change, right?!

If you can't change their mood in that moment, don't be discouraged! You may have interjected enough that later in the day they will think of you and smile. It is quite possible!!

My favorite quote relates to this blog and it is attributed to none other than Groucho Marx!!


                                                            

No Go Out and Hug Someone Happily!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment