Followers

Sunday, November 24, 2013

SMILE

Smile, what a powerful thing! Even the word smile, evokes feelings of happiness. A smile is one thing you can give to someone else and almost instantly make them feel better. A hug of course works too! And neither one costs a thing. All you need is a little time, some sincerity, and the courage to do it! It truly is an easy recipe.

However, did you know that not everyone can smile?! There are people in the world who are born with deformities and are unable to actually smile. Yes, they can smile with their eyes and in their hearts, but not everyone sees those smiles. Luckily, there are ways to help people smile. My friend Donna went to Rwanda on an Operation Smile mission. She wrote a  blog post about her experience and I would like to share that with you, with her permission of course.

                            http://www.operationsmile.org/blog/2013/reflections-from-a.html



My favorite kid from Rwanda in 2006, Mokunzie! Mokunzie was challenging behaviorally, possibly autistic and spoke no English. But boy could he smile!! How can that smile not make you smile?!

I LOVE to smile and try to do it as much as I can. I implore you to do the same. Smile for no reason. Smile at yourself in the mirror to start your day. Smile at ANYONE and EVERYONE. I guarantee you, you will lift their spirits and make them want to smile too! Go ahead, try it.

My favorite story about smiling also comes from Rwanda. I went to Rwanda back in 2006 with my dear friend Kelly. We were walking down the street in a small town called Rwamagana. 2 gentlemen and a lady were walking towards us. They all looked solemn or just not interested in us or life. The man in the middle was tall and looked, for lack of a better term, scary! He honestly looked like he could be the meanest person I had ever met. Well, as we approached them I decided to smile and say "hello" in their native language. I only knew 3 words at the time, but "hello" was one of them. And I know how to smile in ANY language! His reaction was priceless and is forever engrained in my mind. His face lit up with the BIGGEST smile I have ever seen! That is not an exaggeration either, you can ask Kelly if you like. He said hello as well and they kept walking. As we passed each other, the 3 folks were chattering and we could hear them chattering for the next block or so until they were out of ear shot. One simple hello with a smile and it changed the whole scene. It made me realize the power of a sincere smile! That happened 7 years ago, and I remember it like it was yesterday!

Israel was another amazing kid. He spoke 3 languages, while growing up on the streets! How he learned 3 languages while growing up on the streets is a mystery to me. Yes, he grew up on the streets in Rwanda and yet he still      SMILES!!


Another one of my favorite smiles! Katie and her first clown experience. This was at her bachelorette luncheon. Her smile is contagious for sure!

Put your smile to the test and tell me about your experience with it!

Now Go Out and Hug Someone With A Smile on Your Face!!

2 comments:

  1. Rodney tells the truth! And, one of my favorite memories of Mokunzie is when I emerged from my room one morning to find Rodney and Mokunzie playing a card game. They were laughing non-stop. I'm not sure either of them knew the rules to the game, but they were having fun and it made me SMILE!
    -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelly! I remember that card game! yeah, neither of us knew the rules and niether of us knew what the other was saying. Thanks for bringing back that memory! Very special!

    Love and Laughs, Rodney

    ReplyDelete