Followers

Sunday, March 22, 2020

Crip Camp


Some counselors and a camper at Rocky Mountain Village. This is a camp I worked in the past. It is not the camp in the documentary, but it is a similar kind of camp.
A friend of mine sent me an email to tell me about a documentary called "Crip Camp". It is coming out on Netflix on Weds., March 25th. He asked if it was the camp I had worked in the past. I hadn't heard about it yet, so I did a quick google search. After a quick look up, and watching the trailer on Netflix, I have a couple of thoughts to share about it.

First, before I even watch the documentary, I will be recommending it to ALL of my friends and family and encouraging them to share it with ALL of their friends and family. No, I have no affiliation with the camp in the documentary. I don't even know much about it really, except I am quite certain it will be inspirational, educational, and emotional. I feel these are 3 things we really need in this day and age! I didn't do a lot of research on it because I don't want to know much about it before I watch it. I want to watch it with completely open, unbiased eyes. That is my intent anyway. Even though I have not seen it and know little about it, I think it will be a great show to watch with your kids. You are at home with them now more than ever anyway, why not watch something meaningful? Talk about it afterwards. Allow your kids to openly discuss their feelings and thoughts about it. And I do mean OPENLY! I am sure there will be a lot of talking points, questions, and more. Feel free to call upon me if you have any questions about it. I am no expert, but I know a little about people with disabilities. What I don't know, I can ask friends about. I have friends who know way more than me about the subject, including some who live with a disability. I can go straight to the source so to say. 

Second, with full disclosure, I am a little worried about the title. The world we live in is a sensitive one. To me, that is good and bad. We need to me more sensitive and considerate about words and labels, but we don't need to go overboard about every little thing. I wish there was a happy medium to find with this, but I am afraid that would be more difficult than pulling a camel through the eye of a needle. We are all human, and we have strong thoughts, emotions, etc and we should be allowed to have that. But we can all use a little more education on everything and keep open minds about that education. We have learned through history that words can do real damage. Yes, freedom of speech is important and should be a right for everyone. Absolutely. But can't we use that freedom of speech to do more good than harm? To educate rather than denigrate? To lift up instead of tear down? These are questions I have for the general public, and you MY FRIENDS! 

So, what I mean about the title... As a person who has worked with people with disabilities. As a person who has some education on the matters, but needs more. As a person who cares about other's feelings and well being. As a person who wants everyone to watch this... I am afraid the title will put some people off. We are taught to not use certain words like retard, disabled, or crippled when talking about someone who has special needs. I believe that is the best way to live. The best way we can treat people fairly. So, why can people who live with disabilities use words like "Crip".  I don't know that answer. But I don't want it to deter people from watching. Maybe it is short for cripple? Maybe that was the actual name of the camp back then, before education has taught us not to speak like that? I won't know until I see the documentary. And neither will you! So, I am asking you all to watch it and discuss it with your family, friends, ME, everyone who is willing and wanting to discuss it. What do you say?

In these trying times with isolation, quarantine, etc. I think this might be one of the most important documentaries we can watch and discuss. There are a few reasons I feel that way, but mostly because these people went through some struggles. They took charge of that struggle and made it better. They came out better on the other end I think. We are all going through a big struggle right now, and to get inspiration from others who struggled is much needed. It won't change our struggle, but it may give hope to some who are not feeling hopeful at the moment. Do you agree? I will be writing a post after the documentary to discuss my thoughts on it and what I took from it and more. Look for that post next weekend or so. In the mean time, let me know what you think. And if you watch it, let me know your thoughts and questions about it. 

Now Go Out and Hug Someone (virtually from 6 feet) Today!!!

8 comments:

  1. I'm not turned off by the title at all. It has a nice rhythm to it. But more seriously, I think it actually /honors/ those who are privileged to attend the camp. I don't see it as negative, more as a make-fun-of-yourself nickname used by those attendees. "Hey, did you hear I'm going to Crip Camp this summer!? Cool!"

    Obviously, the term can be used in a derogatory way. Everyone whom I've ever met with ties to a Reservation calls themselves Indians, not the made-up-by-guilty-white-people term Native Americans. It's all in how it's used.

    I expect good things from the movie.

    Dave< '''''' >Chip/Rodney
    (6 feet apart, we open our arms to each other and air kiss, or something.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that view point Dave! I hope others see it that way as well. I expect great things as well

      Delete
    2. First, a huge thanks to Chipski for pointing this out. Maybe I can organize a virtual group watching here in the Big Potato. Lets see. I strongly second Dave's view. "It's all in how its used." The number of reasonable, in-and-of-themselves non-offense terms that have become taboo is impossible to keep track of in this geographically dispersed, fast- pace, language mutilating world. I've been shamed on various occasions for using the wrong word...I think its a symptom of the superficiality embraced by many....I think those who are tempted to be offended should take a breath, remember MLK's mantra, "No one can ride your back if it isn't bent" and, having MINDFULLY looked into the eyes of the speaker and heard the intonation in their voice, make a decision to let it slide and focus on the essence of the speaker's behavior and attitude. My 2cents.
      This chat reminds me of a joke: President Harry S. Truman was giving a speech to the ladies auxiliary something-or-other. He used the word "crap" several times...later, the chief lady came up to Bess, Harry's wonderful wife, and said, "Ma'm, do you think in the future you could get him to stop using that word?" Bess smiled and said, "Dear, do you have any idea how much effort it to took to get him to switch to THAT word...?"

      Delete
    3. Excellent thoughts Justin. Let me know if you get a virtual group to watch. Your 2 cents is worth more than a dollar in my book 😀. Love the joke, and it definitely puts a stamp on this chat. Thanks for sharing. Chipskii

      Delete
  2. Hey Chip! Jeff H here. I continue to be impressed by your sensitivity towards others. I look forward to seeing the documentary and probably learning more about you and others that work with people with disabilities. I've often wondered though if we are confused with who has the disability ... and who's helping who here. I am not put off by the title. I'm hoping its a term used between fellow "crips." Just like my friends and I can joke about being old dinosaurs or teasing each other if we share the same physical liability. I certainly don't want others I don't know though to think its OK to address one of their elders in that way we do with each other. And ... there is your concern. We'll see. I'm hopeful it brings a heightened level of consciousness to us all. Appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jeff! Great to get a comment from you. You are someone I respect immensely! I appreciate your words, and I tend to agree with them. We will know more after watching the documentary of course. Consciousness is a good thing and something I hope everyone learns more about. Big hugs to you and Suzanna! I hope we can meet up some day this year. Chip

      Delete
  3. I just read the article and watched that trailer. It's amazing. I've posted a link on my Facebook page. I will definitely watch it on Netflix! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I will be curious about your thoughts after you watch it. I appreciate you sharing it. Rodney

      Delete